The center of Caltanissetta is the Garibaldi square overlooked by the Cathedral, built between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries; in the next underwent renovations that reconfigured the front, the area of the apse , the transept and the dome. The interior has a Latin cross , with three naves and a dome markedly longitudinal crossing of the arms; the vault was frescoed in 1720 by Guglielmo Borremans. always in the nave, there is a fine organ and seventeenth-century main altar, a fine blade Borremans depicting the Immaculate.
You can also visit the church of San Sebastiano, the Triton Fountain, the church or the College of Saint Agatha, the Abbey of the Holy Spirit and the archaeological museums and diocesan level.
Dedicated to Santa Maria La Nova, St. Michael, Cathedral of Caltanissetta was erected, to more occasions between 1570 and 1622. Very recent dome and transept, built in the middle’ of 900. It has a large façade with a baroque portal and two two towers 1840.
Abbey of the Holy Spirit
It was built probably before the year one thousand, and ‘the most ‘ancient churches nissene. And ‘ in the Romanesque style and has three apses. Many, over the centuries, the rearrangements. Currently there are paintings of great artistic value, ancient sacred texts and a Roman font.
Church of St. Agatha at Collegio
According to tradition, the point is located where the present church has existed in the sixteenth century, a smaller dedicated to Sant’Agata, next to which Donna Luisa De Luna and Vega and his son Francesco Moncada founded in 1588, the Board of the Society of Jesus.
Church of Saint Sebastian
Founded in 1500 as a tribute to the saint by the local people for deliverance from the plague, the church of St. Sebastian is situtata rity in P. Garibaldi right in front of the Cathedral. The church, resized and restored several times, presents an eclectic nineteenth century facade with three orders.
The museum contains documents of human settlements and the neighboring territories of Caltanissetta , from its origins to the late antiquity. The collections are among the most important in Sicily, including kits, decorated vases and Attic vases with red figures , tools and artifacts of bronze and pottery.
The Diocesan Museum is located in the premises of the Episcopal Seminary, in Viale Regina Margherita 29. Among the most important works of art to be admired inside there is a work attributed to Raphael, a series of paintings of Borremans, Filippo Paladini and Nyssa Vincent Roggeri.