A wide page in the history of Nyssa is still represented almost live, from castles and medieval towers that arise in large quantities in the Province. Mainly built in medieval times, these ancient buildings ensured to the feudal lords of the time the control of the central southern part.
The territory of Caltanissetta in fact represented a kind of wall between the western and eastern Sicily, this limit which coincided roughly with the trend of the river Himera South. In general, these buildings served as a veritable towers and they were often stationed garrisons of soldiers.
The Castello di Mazzarino is defined Castelvecchio. All Mazzarinesi , the castle is known as “U Cannuni “, with the unique cylindrical tower, almost “cannon”, which rises towards the sky. It is located to the north, so close to the village, to give the illusion of being able to touch, extending his hand.
Chiaramonte Castle Mussomeli
The castle, located two kilometers from Mussomeli, is built on a limestone cliff at a height of about 80 meters. Almost at the base of the rock is a wall post in defense of the little road access. On the summit there is a second wall which encloses the residential part.
To the west of the country, on a hill of rough, jagged limestone cliffs, there are the ruins of a medieval castle, called Castellaccio. The date of its construction is uncertain and seems to have been modified and made wider by the Aragonese in 1469 dominated Sicily.
Norman Castle Butera
It was in the past centuries goal of conquest by invaders of Sicily. Comprised of four or five towers at the corners of a fortified area was a stronghold impregnable hero of the story. The castle already existed in 854, when the emir Alaba became Lord of Butera.
The Castle of Falconara, stands on a rocky promontory overlooking the sea . The property retains a tower, which the lords of adibivano breeding of falcons , hence the name of the castle. Hugh of Santapau, in 1392, received it as a gift from King Martin of Aragon.
The Swabian Castle, better known as “Castelluccio” stands on a hill overlooking the coast and gypsum to defend the city of Gela. The origins of the castle date back to 1143 when Count Simon of Butera gave it to the abbot of the Monastery of San Nicolò l’Arena CT.